Tox Box Closes for 2019 Season December 13th!
**DO NOT leave items unattended at the Tox Box or at the gate. Call the Recycling District for assistance.**
The Tox Box is a household hazardous waste chemical collection program operated by the Johnson County Recycling District located at 1051 Hospital Road in Franklin. The Tox Box accepts most household chemicals at no charge for Johnson County residents only – these include the following:
- Oil-based paint/stains
- Aerosol cans (if empty, please recycle)
- Automotive fluids
- Pool chemicals
- Cleaning products
IMPORTANT: LATEX PAINT IS NOT ACCEPTED. Please see instructions as well as a video for proper drying out and disposal of latex paints listed below. Also see the additional list of items that are not accepted at the Tox Box. Thank you!
Tox Box Address1051 Hospital Road Franklin, IN 46131
DIRECTIONSFrom U.S. 31 in Franklin – Take U.S. 31 south past S.R. 44 (Jefferson Street) to Hospital Road. Turn west (right) on Hospital Road (past Walgreen’s and the Marathon gas station). Take Hospital Road to the stop sign (Johnson County Highway Department will be on your left). The Tox Box will be the first left past the stop sign at the west end of the Highway Department. Proceed to the gate and stop next to the small shed on the left. Someone will be out to assist you.
Hours of Operation
Hours are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 9am – 3pm. Please call ahead if inclement weather.
Instructions to Dry Out Water-based (Latex) Paint & Stains
We recommend the use of a commercial paint hardener. You should follow the disposal instructions that are provided on the hardener’s label. However, if you do not have ready access to a commercial paint hardener, clay cat litter can be a great alternative. Watch this simple video, or see instructions below:
- Add equal parts clay cat litter to latex paint in the can (one part paint to one part clay cat litter). If you have more than a half a can, you can also pour the paint into a plastic lined cardboard box then pour in cat litter.
- Stir the cat litter into the paint until it has an oatmeal-like consistency that will not spill out.
- Allow the paint and cat litter mixture to sit until dry.
- Throw the dried paint in the can in the garbage with the lid off.
Additional Items the Tox Box Does Not Accept
- Large quantities of chemicals or volatile materials. Materials such as radioactive materials, bio-medical wastes and explosives WILL NOT be accepted.
- Medications – Please see our Medication Disposal page for proper disposal information.
- Batteries – Please see our Battery Disposal page for more information.
- Sharps – Please take all sharps to the Johnson County Health Department, 317-346-4365.
- Florescent tubes and ballasts -Call the Recycling District for fees and disposal information.
- CFL bulbs (curly bulbs) – CFL bulbs be taken to the Lowe’s or Home Depot service desk for FREE environmentally safe disposal.
- Propane tanks – Small camping type cylinders can be taken to Crossroads Recycling, 100 Eastview Dr. Franklin, IN 46131 at 317-736-6099. Larger grill tanks can be taken to any location that carries Blue Rhino brand propane tanks.
- Fire Extinguishers – Call the District for disposal options. Do Not bring them to the Tox Box as they will not be accepted.
- Smoke Detectors – Visit the USPS website for information.
THE TOX BOX IS OPEN TO RESIDENTS ONLY! If you are a business or CESQG with disposal needs, please call NuGenesis at 800-487-1010. For additional HHW (household hazardous waste) options and information, check out the Indiana Household Waste Taskforce, Inc. website.